Wednesday, March 16, 2011

are you cool enough to be a loser?

"Just go ahead and hate on me and run your mouth
So everyone can hear
Hit me with the words you got and knock me down
Baby, I don’t care
Keep it up, I’m tunin’ up to fade you out
You wanna be
A loser like me"

ahhh...have truer words ever been sung to this barely reformed drama geek? i think NOT. cuz even though i definitely do not have the best voice, and i was only in chorus in 8th grade because it meant only having to take PE for half the year....i feel like deep down, GLEE is a show about my life.

about being an outcast. about not feeling like you measure up...even if you were head cheerleader before you got knocked up.

and i can guarantee, any of you who don't watch this show...have probably felt that way before. maybe in high school. maybe in college. maybe last week at some work meeting. maybe with your sibling who always seems to outshine you just a little.

but that's the thing....we're ALL losers. everyone. we've all got different things that make us losers.

and you know what??

IT'S ABOUT FREAKING TIME TO EMBRACE THEM.

see that girl? she's all of 16 i think. and trust me when i say...she was definitely a loser. lucky for her...she went to a liberal arts magnet high school. so even the popular kids were smart kids too...and the jocks were in AP classes. and we didn't have a whole heck of a lot of bullying and such. or i just wasn't a big enough loser to know it.

and now? now that girl is a few months shy of 28...and she's been thinking of all the reasons she's a loser...and all the reasons why she loves it.

*i'm a complete and total klutz. i usually manage in public...but i've almost killed myself going up and down the stairs in my house more times than i can count.

*i'm a fountain of useless knowledge...which usually gets weird looks, NOT admiring stares.

*two words....drama. geek. i lived it...i loved it. i STILL have the t-shirts from thespian conference.

*i cry. a lot. when i'm happy. when i'm sad. when i see someone else crying. when i get really mad and frustrated. waterworks city.

*i didn't get kissed until i was 19. NINETEEN.

*deep down, i still desperately want to be one of the "cool girls".

*i get more than a little freaked out going places far away on my own. what if i do something wrong? what if i say something wrong?

*i've been unemployed for 9 months. and don't really have any job prospects lined up. (also haven't really been looking...which might be another reason i'm sort of a loser).

*i get REALLY excited when i get emails saying i have blog comments...like...loser-ish excited.

so....the real question is...have YOU embraced your inner loser? or have you always been a cool kid?

if so....can we be friends?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

As cool as some people might think they are, everyone has a little inner loser inside of them!

Kathryn said...

We ARE all losers! I guess we'll just have to embrace it :)

Mrs. ummmmmm......Brownell said...

A comment for a little excitement in your day! :)

Allison said...

great post.
and i pretty much nodded along with the entire thing, as if you'd written it about me.

Unknown said...

Cool is a state of mind. I embrace my dorky quirks and don't care if I'm a loser in others' eyes.

Unknown said...

Aww Hayley, I've been unemployed for a little over a year myself, too hard to find a job in the Capital of the USA, because everything seems ot be "top secert" even working at Subway! haha, thats why I've gone back to school and taking aimless yet useful classes that one day land me something amazing because of all my amazing talents, but most of all I really enjoy being a mom to my beautiful daughters! ENJOY your time well spent, i think you should consider doing something with all your craftyness with jewelry !

Nikosmommy said...

I like this and can relate. I think we've all been a "loser" at one point or another (hopefully for me it was just in high school and that's all behind me now!)

And I so understand about being a fountain of knowledge...for some reason people don't like hearing it from a smart girl. It NEVER goes over well!
Glee was great last nite!

bananas. said...

what are you talking about? losers? cha right i'm bi-winning! charlie sheen style!!!

hahaha.

no but really...hi i went to band camp. it sucked but i still went.

Unknown said...

I can agree with you on so many of those.
I wish I had gone to a liberal arts high school. Instead I was a loser at a regular high school where all the popular kids had no problem letting me know how much of a loser I was. :)

Getting over HIM. said...

ahhh! finally someone who understands why I love this show so much. i swear its like my life as well!