Friday, July 13, 2012

my thursday afternoon revelation

so yesterday when i was leaving my library and heading to michaels (and yes...i KNOW how sexy that sounds. clearly i can't help it) i had one of those moments where you go "holy hell universe, how am i JUST NOW realizing this??".

see...i was thinking about how when i was a kid, other than my kickass jem and the holograms cassette tape that came with one of my jem and the hologram dolls, the only music i really listened to at home was the music my PARENTS listened to.

whether it was their radio stations for their current faves, or their albums at home from their high school days, it was THEIR pick.

and i loved it.

it's why i know all the words to dozens and dozens of motown songs. and most of reba mcentire's live CD circa 1980. and the pointer sisters. and carole king (minus that song about the toadstool. that ish was weird).

and i realized as i was in the middle of an epic car dance to this song...i get to do the same thing to MY kids. with my jams, with my high school tunes, with all my favorites (minus a few key additions...cuz toddlers probably shouldn't listen to ludacris right?)




you're welcome future offspring. 

you. are. welcome.

3 comments:

Erin said...

It wasn't as life-altering a revelation as yours, but I also realized that I was very much not aware of music from my pre-HS youth because I was always in the car with my parents. So, you know there was a lot of B98.5 going on.

AmandaDF said...

That is one of the things I'm most excited about for my future kids. Our kids are going to have awesome taste lol

Claire Kiefer said...

I still LOVE the music my parents introduced me to: classic rock. It's probably my favorite genre.