Tuesday, May 7, 2013

you know it's bad when you can't even google

if we're gonna talk about things i'm afraid of...i'm gonna have to come clean.

THESE IS LITERALLY THE ONLY EELS THAT DON'T SCARE THE BEJEEZUS OUT OF ME.

when i tell people i'm scared of eels, they're always all "oh, it's because of seeing the little mermaid when you were little, isn't it?"

actually, NO.  flotsam and jetsam are the only 2 of their kind that don't send me into straight heart palpitations and panic attacks.

EELS ARE EVIL AND HAVE NO SOULS IN THEIR EYES AND I HATE THEM ALL AND HOPE THEY DIE.

so yeah...that's the main REAL thing i'm afraid of.

but that's because most of my major fears aren't something you can just avoid at the aquarium.

things like being worried that i won't ever find anything i'm better at than producing news...even though i left it, and hated it.  i was damn good at it, and walking away has always left me with questions.

or, wondering if i'm going to be a good mom...no, i'm NOT pregnant, but motherhood has been on my mind since i was young.  it's the only thing i've ever known with my whole heart i wanted to BE when i grew up.  i look at my friends with their babies and i think "keeping them alive and relatively happy i'm pretty sure i can handle".  but then i start to think about all the things you need to teach kids, about being good kids and good citizens and just generally good human beings...and it's SO overwhelming.  and failing at that is WAY worse than failing at getting a kickass show on the air or writing a great script.

does anyone else worry about these things? or i just an eel-hating lunatic?



2 comments:

Erin said...

I have always been creeped out by eels, but I think it did start with Flotsam and Jetsam for me. They were so freaking slimy and slithery and creepy with those creepy, glowing green-yellow eyes. Blarrrrrgh.

Claire Kiefer said...

I definitely worry about not being patient enough with kids. I'm not patient . . . at all. I also engage in too much power-struggling sometimes, and I know I need to work on that too. It's hard, balancing the line between disciplining well and chilling the F out!

I'm terrified of seizures, b/c I saw a kid have one when I was 9 and it was the scariest thing ever. For years I wouldn't even say the word. I still gasp and cover my eyes when one happens on Grey's Anatomy.

Also scared of heights & various other medical things (I have medical anxiety pretty bad!)